Sunday, February 17, 2008

No serious harm done (I hope)

Well, my friend was having pains, particular when waking up in the morning and when he did things like cough or laugh. It wasn't very pleasant. So, he went to the doctor and had an X-ray taken, but they determined that no bone damage was done (he thought he might have had a cracked rib) and it seems to just be soft tissue damage (like a bad bruise). So they've got him taking some pain killers and hopefully the situation will work itself out in a couple of days time. We'll see how he's doing come Wednesday I guess.

On a different topic, I started playing a game on the GameCube called "The Lord of the Rings, the Third Age" with my son. He gets a kick out of it and likes fighting the bad guys. We played for almost 4 hours and the progress for our game indicated we had completed 2% of the game, although I had been taking it slow and just letting him enjoy the game, not trying to race through it as quick as I could. But then I woke up a little early on Saturday and played by myself for awhile and then played with my son again for a little bit yesterday and today. Now I'm at 13% completion and the game is kind of addicting. I love the music from the Lord of the Rings movies, along with the scenery and the story and this game has all of those things, so I find myself really drawn into it.

I find I can often spend a lot of time on something if I don't watch myself. My wife bought me the first book of the High Druid of Shannara a while back, but I only read a couple of pages and first and never really got into it. Then I took it on a business trip with me and read quite a few chapters on the plane. That got me hooked and I finished the book fairly quickly, but of course it was the first in a trilogy and had a cliff-hanger ending. My wife, the thoughtful person that she is, bought me the next two books in the series the following Saturday and ten days later I had finished with both of them.

I used to read quite a bit when I was younger (middle school up until my Jr. year in high school). Must have read 20 novels one summer alone. I realize that may make me sound like a nerd and maybe it does, but while I may have spent and entire summer with my nose in various books once, I know someone who once spent an entire summer in their basement writing programs in Pascal.

Ah, youth. They say it is wasted on the young, but that is just because they are jealous (I know I am).

3 comments:

It Ain't Over Til the Fat Lady Sings said...

Nothing wrong with being a Bookworm (vs. Nerd). Now, the guy in the basement with the Pascal would be a Nerd. Bookworms are entirely another animal.

But what's wrong with Nerds, anyway? We can't all be movie stars, can we?

Doobie said...

I suppose we could, but nobody would want to watch those movies. And I must say, while I can admire their abilities as actors, I don't think much of most movie stars.

Anonymous said...

Another thought: Is it desirable to read a book in 7 days? When I started reading "The Godfather" I read the book in a couple of days. It is an awesome book, but I think you should enjoy reading and in order to enjoy it, I'll force myself to keep off the book I'm reading for a couple of days. That way it lasts longer (as a poor student I don't have the money to buy new books every other week) and I'm always wondering how it'll ned...

But I had a summer too when I was reading and reading.. but ti was at an public swimmingpool... ;)