Monday, June 23, 2008

Didn't make my goal

Well, I had put in a 2-week goal in my Wii fit profile to gain 5 pounds in two weeks, but wasn't able to do it. At the end of the two weeks, I was exactly the same weight. So, I've put in a new goal to try and gain 2 pounds in two weeks. We'll see if I can pull that one off.

It seems like when it comes to a change in weight, this is the order of difficulty:

Put on weight by storing more fat (all you have to do in order to do this is to consume more calories than you burn and if you don't move around much, you can probably get by on burning only 1200 or 1500 colories per day, depending on your metabolism of course)

Lose weight (this is just the opposite, you just have to consume less calories than you burn. So, if you limit your intake to 1000 calories per day, but excercise such that you burn at least 2000 calories per day, then you'll lose a pound about every three or four days)

Gain weight by building muscle (this seems to be the hardest to do. In order to build muscle, you have to work out, which burns calories, but in order to gain weight you still have to take in more calories than you burn.)

That may seem like an oversimplification, but the math I believe is 1 pound = 3500 calories (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that), so in order for me to gain 2 pounds, I'll have to consume 7000 more calories than I burn. For me, that may prove to be tough.
We'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

It Ain't Over Til the Fat Lady Sings said...

Hey, Doobie:

There's a Bible verse that says something like, "You created me, and I am fearfully, wonderfully made."

You are fine with God just the way you are. Gaining weight will not make you a better person - you are totally perfect and wonderful and valuable in God's eyes just the way you are. He created you. How could a perfect being not create a human who is so close to perfection as He is?

Now if only I could make myself believe what I have just written (although I am far out on the opposite end of the spectrum that you are, hence the "Fat Lady" label).

Aren't humans strange things? We have so many gifts yet we do not appreciate them as we should. Does size, shape, beauty or talent really matter? Are not the geniuses and raving beauties in the world as wonderful as the mentally challenged children and the ugly creatures with fantastic personalities? We are all God's creations, no matter what we look like.

On the flip side - at church a couple of weeks ago, we had a fabulous preacher who told us something like, "we humans will never be truly happy until we are with God." And maybe that is what makes us so unhappy with what we are.

We need to start to see things with God's eyes and not our own.

Doobie said...

Oh, I can handle being ugly, it doesn't bother me that much.
And I must admit, that if I to chose I would rather be underweight than overweight, but it sure would be nice to be normal.
My main focus is being in shape. I can still run up three or so flights of stairs without being out breath, so that's good. But I feel there is room for improvement, so I'm trying to make an effort.
The next life will be great. I'll have all of the time in the world to work on my many imperfections and learn all sorts of new things.