Monday, March 31, 2008

Communication

I spoke in sacrament meeting yesterday, but let me back up and lay out the entire story, as that's the part that is really worth talking about.
As the ward mission leader, the 2nd counselor in our bishopric asked me back towards the end of February if I would talk with the full time elders in the area and if the three of us would speak on the 5th Sunday of March. I agreed and talked with one of the elders a couple of days later. He said they were open and would be happy to do it.
A few weeks later when I was with both of the elders, I asked if they were all set to talk, but they couldn't remember having been asked and said they had already committed to speak in another ward that same day. Luckily, the elder I had spoken with had written it down in his book, so even though he didn't remember having been asked, it was indeed on their schedule. But, the still had the other commitment and said they'd check on the time.
After they did that, they found the other ward met ta 9AM (we meet at 1PM) so it was no problem.
On Saturday, I conducted another baptism and the 2nd counselor was there. Afterwards, I asked him a question about the Sunday program and he didn't remember having asked me to talk in Sacrament meeting and that a member from the stake high council would be speaking. At this point, I was starting to get concerned that I'd completely lost my mind.
Later in the day he (the 2nd counselor) called me up to say that the high councilman had just told him the speaker that was going to come with him fell through and he needed another speaker. So, I was back on the program.
I talked with the music director about it and she too had been told by the second counselor that I would speaking that week back in February and to get with me about the music (we had done that several weeks ago) So, the good news is I haven't lost my mind. The bad news is that perhaps the 2nd counselor has.
I had prepared to talk for 20 minutes and had to end up cutting that in half, but all in all it went well and everyone involved was able to find the humor in the situation.
I stated that I'd rather be prepared and not have to speak than the other way around.

1 comment:

It Ain't Over Til the Fat Lady Sings said...

I'd say that God wanted you to speak and although there were a lot of obstacles (failing memories?) you did what you were called to do.

I'd like to know what you spoke about.