Sunday, March 23, 2008

Baptism

I conducted a convert baptism yesterday, my first this year. The man is in his mid-30's and I've seen such a big change in him during the past 6 months.

Growing up in a particular faith, it seems to be much easier to hold on to those beliefs and traditions. But when, after already having reached adulthood, if you can still have an open mind to hear things out and have the spirituality to pray to know the truth of new information, I think that is something very special.

I have seen so often people who refuse to have an open mind. They think that what they have been taught is the way things are and nothing else could possibly have any merit. And I must admit, I myself when through a time when I was that way and did not have an open mind.

Even so, I'm not sure that I would have guts to do what some of these people I've known and worked with have done, nor am I confident that I'd have enough faith to pray about the new things I'd learned to find out if they were true. I admire these fine people, their faith and conviction is inspiring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey doobie..

You say "nor am I confident that I'd have enough faith to pray about the new things I'd learned to find out if they were true" But I think that praxing in that sense would be the wrong word. If you want to come to the conclusion that what you belvie is right or wrong, you should think for yousrself. Because no almigty can tell you.

It Ain't Over Til the Fat Lady Sings said...

As a 'cradle Catholic' I had no choice as to what faith I would be baptized into. It really is a wonderful thing to witness an adult baptism - someone deliberately choosing a particular faith and a particular way of worshiping our One Great God. It seems that God selects these special individuals to be His very own... sort of like the prodigal son. The older brother was always there and always faithful, but somehow, the one that was lost and found again was more precious to God. Who can know the mind of God? I guess all we can do is be the best that we can be, and hope that God sees our best efforts.

Doobie said...

KC,

I agree that people should think for themselves, but I don't think it's true to say "no almighty can tell you".
If the Bible is true, then the almighty can and will tell you what is true and what isn't.
James 1:5