Sunday, February 26, 2012

Where I stand - on the separation of church and state

I believe in the separation of church and state and believe that means the freedom "of" religion versus the freedom "from" religion.
The government should not dictate the religious beliefs of the people. Nor should they ban religious beliefs, practices or services. Prayer is my right and the government has no more right to prevent me from praying than they have to force others to pray.

In general, I feel my personal religious beliefs are irrelevant when discussing my political views. But in this situation, both my religious and political views can be explained by the 11th article of faith from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints:

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

The only time the government should get involved in religion is when people are being put in harm's way. In those cases, it is the job of the government to protect those that are unable to protect themselves.

No comments: