Saturday, March 3, 2012

Where I stand - on deciding for whom to vote

Though it may often seem the coin flip technique is as good as anything else; and that one voice out of millions can't make a difference, I believe in making the best choice possible.
That choice is not based on the name of the candidate or party to which they belong.
Nor does it have to be somebody who has never made a mistake or has exactly the same viewpoints as you on every issue.
It has to be the person that wants to take the (country, county, city, state, etc) in a direction you believe in, has the capability to do so, and has the work ethic to give it the time it deserves. (Capability is a mix of skill, experience and desire)
Those who cannot compromise must live alone.
Those who never change their viewpoints on anything may be too stubborn to learn to compromise.
Those who constantly change their viewpoints may be too easily swayed by peer pressure.
But those who do not listen to their constituents are not fit for office. We elect people to represent us, not to direct us.
So, all of this said, who is the best man to be our next president? The answer is simple. Steve Rogers; Captain America. But since his name isn't in the hat, I will look for those who show similar leadership, selflessness, humility and valor. IMO, the perfect candidate is not running. But when I cast my vote, it will be for the best choice that I have at that time. Even if that ends up being somebody I voted against previously. I do not see this as picking between the lesser of two evils. I see it as my duty as a citizen of the United States of America.
Get out there and vote.

2 comments:

Edelweiss said...

My sentiments exactly. While there may not be the perfect candidate, there are some good men who run. I don't buy that all politicians are bad. I do see that the political process is pretty nasty. Good men are made to appear bad, and, conversely, bad men are often made to appear good. In the end, you have to take everything with a grain of salt, study things out yourself, and don't allow yourself to be swayed by selected soundbites, rabid rhetoric, and dramatic demagoguery.

Doobie said...

Couldn't have put it better myself.