Saturday, February 11, 2012

Where I stand - on gun control

In general I am opposed.
I believe that law abiding citizens should be allowed to own guns, as long as the ownership of those firearms does not impose undue risk to society. This means that a loaded shotgun should not be placed in the corner of a home where the mother offers daycare services.
Open carry is legal in my state, but that doesn't mean somebody should walk down the street hefting an AK47 and a pump-action shotgun. That kind of behavior can cause people alarm.
Criminals will find a way to get firearms even if they are outlawed and firearms in the hands of responsible, law-abiding citizens do not worry me.
That said, if somebody else is in favor of some form of gun control, I cannot fault them for it without first knowing all of the factors behind their decision.

No comments: