Sunday, May 11, 2008

Spring work

This weekend I did a lot of spring time work. I love spring, things are warming up, plants are coming into bloom, the world is full of life.
Unfortunately, I have allergies, so often times the very things that I find so much joy in looking at can also cause me some discomfort and cost me some sleep.
Yesterday I mowed the lawn, tilled the garden and replaced a sprinkler head. Last night I didn't sleep very well, kept sneezing and had to get up several times to blow my nose. I finally went downstairs and watched some TV for a bit. Typically there isn't much on at 1:30 in the morning, but luckily there was an America's Funniest Videos special, featuring clips about animals which I've also found to be the most entertaining. I don't know, there's just something about a kangaroo kicking a man in the crotch that just cracks me up. Anyway, I woke up with a headache and I'm a little tired today.

Today of course is Mother's day. I saw my mother this morning and wished her a happy Mother's day. I also gave my wife breakfast in bed and, since she isn't my mother, my kids gave her some clothing as a Mother's day gift. A little later I'll go to church and sing with the choir in honer of this special day.

I also got to speak with my little brother, who is currently serving a mission in Germany. Missionaries are only allowed to speak with their families on two days, Christmas and Mother's day. So it was a rare opportunity. He'll be back before next Christmas.

Later today, I'll stop by my grandmother's place and wish her a happy Mother's day as well. Not everyone is lucky enough to have such great family and to live within a short drive of most of them.

No comments: