Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Where I stand – on trans fats

Trans fats are unhealthy.  Everybody that has done any research knows this.  They raise LDL cholesterol and lower HDL cholesterol.  Both of those are bad things. 
I stay away from trans fats, which means not buying products that contain them and checking nutrition information for restaurants that I visit, not ordering things that contain trans fats and not eating there at all if everything contains trans fats. 
In my opinion, nobody should be consuming things that contain trans fats.  But should the FDA ban their use outright?  No; this is a classic case of the government overstepping their bounds. 
Educate people and they will stay away from trans fats as I do and the market will voluntarily stop using trans fats as a result.  This is the correct way to solve problems, education, not regulation or legislation.  Government should do less thinking for us and we should do more thinking for ourselves.

No comments: