Friday, June 7, 2013

Where I stand - on the freedom of speech

First, I support free speech.  Infringing on it is a bad idea and is a step down a very slippery slope toward tyranny.
However, one's individual liberties end when they would harm another person.  Yelling "fire!" in a crowded theater might very well result in someone getting hurt, so if someone does such a thing they should be held accountable for the harm their actions caused and not protected due to "free speech".

Similarly, the press need to be held accountable for what they publish, especially if it causes harm to another person.
The two men suing the New York Post over posting their pictures with the headline stating the Feds were looking for them regarding the bombing have every right to that lawsuit and I hope they win.  I can't speculate as to the amount of money to which they might be entitled, but I certainly hope the price the New York Post has to pay for their actions is high enough to make them think twice about jumping the gun like that in the future.

While I consider it my right to post my own views on this blog, if the words I post cause harm to another person, I should be held accountable for that.  Note however, that offense is not the same thing is harm.  It is one thing to say something derogatory about a certain sports team, thus offending fans of that team, it is another to make false claims that slander the character of another.

So, free speech, yes.  But not without accountability.

No comments: