Thursday, June 11, 2009

The most important writing

I am determined to put in the effort required to find out if I can be published one day. Hopefully that journey will not consists solely of agents and/or publishers slamming the door in my face, but I have decided to embark on this journey either way.

To that end, I have learned that an introduction paragraph (like the back cover of a book) is critical to grabbing agent, editor or publisher attention and have started to work on my "book hook". I likely won't actually submit a query letter to an agent until my book is done (or at least the first draft is done), but please give me your feedback on this introduction paragraph. Does it grab your attention and make you interested in the book?

In the small town of Huntsville Montana, a group of friends are learning about life, love and coming of age. Summer vacation was a time for fast cars, mischief, staying up late and going to parties. But when one of them crosses the wrong man, they find their lives turned upside down. Unable to turn to the police or their parents, they must rely on each other to prevent the death of their friend and the end of their childhoods.

Once again, thank you for your help and support.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is an excellent paragraph, you did good. Your first contact with a publisher/agent will be a query letter. Make sure you get the following in:
1-Personalize the letter by including a line regarding books the agent has handled. You need to show you have researched their company and have something suitable for them.
2-Make it a showcase for your writing abilities. If they don't like your query letter, they'll never read any of your other work.
3-A brief description of the book.
4-The manuscript details (page count and how quickly the book can be completed, ect.)
5-One or two sentences about you, as the author.
6-Sales channel information -- where this book will sell especially well.
7- Make it clear that you will be able to send a chapter to preview immediately.
8-Keep it short and to the point.
9-Avoid cute sales techniques like unique font or typeface. Most publishers will throw those out without even reading them. Read the companies requirements for submissions and follow them exactly. The reason for this is the sheer volume of submissions that are recieved. They wont waste their time working with anyone who wont follow their rules.

Finally- toughen up. You'll most likely have to get rejected repeatedly. Just keep trying!

Doing good Doob.
3-

Velvok said...

How would you describe the book (major plot points, throughlines, etc.) in non-marketing speak? I'm curious to compare your concept of the story to the hook version.

From what I can see, some of the major things that the story should be about are:

* Huntsville, Montana
* Coming of Age
* Boyhood
* Danger

Kinda reminds me of Stand By Me. :-)

Anyway, do post the summary!

-Mark

Doobie said...

Thanks Ang. I'm not ready to write my query letter yet, but I've been learning about them and most resources list similar things, all in line with what you've said, so I must be on the right track.

Velvok, I'm not quite sure what to put in a summary... I want the story to contain surprises and not be too obvious. The prologue is meant to draw the reader in and show that the story will focus on wreckless teens, but there will be more to it as well. I don't think I could do the story justice with a summary.

It Ain't Over Til the Fat Lady Sings said...

I was hooked.